Skip to main content

#SaveTheBiscuit - Just Peachy Shortcake with Toasted Pecans & Maple Drizzle



Who's ready for some more biscuit deliciousness???  This recipe is one of my personal favorites when it comes to desserts that are perfect for the upcoming spring and summer season.  It's my take on a traditional shortcake.  Sky-high buttermilk biscuits take the place of the usual shortcake, and juicy peaches mixed with a little brown sugar make a mouth-watering filling.  Freshly whipped cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and toasted pecans take this dessert to stellar status.

Recently, I shared the news that my blog had been featured in Wiregrass Living magazine.  This recipe was one of the dishes in my feature.  It's definitely a hit around our house.   In fact, I have a confession to make - After photographing this dish, I unashamedly devoured the.whole.thing.  I mean, I couldn't let such a beautiful thing go to complete waste!?!  Shhh...Don't tell anyone.  ;)  A girl's gotta indulge every now and then.

I know that fresh peaches aren't always easy to come by this time of year, so a bag of sliced, frozen peaches would make a fine substitute if you're in a pinch.  Just defrost and proceed as written.  This entire recipe comes together quickly and the steps are super easy.

Here in the south, we southerners are serious about our homemade biscuits.  There's a debate about whether using salted butter or shortening is better when it comes to this topic.  I've always been a firm believer in butter, until very recently.  The past few times I've made biscuits, I only had shortening on-hand...no butter to be found.  I'm slowly becoming a shortening believer.  My biscuits came out mile-high and were super light and flaky. I've also perfected my kneading method and fold over the dough several times while kneading.  This helps to create beautiful layers.

This is the 3rd installment of my #savethebiscuit series, in which I've partnered with the nice folks at White Lily flour.

Bon Appetit, my friends!




"Just Peachy" Shortcake with Toasted Pecans, Buttermilk Biscuits & Maple Drizzle
Serves 5-6
Ingredients:
6 large peaches, peeled and sliced into wedges
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups self-rising flour, preferably White Lily
1/4 cup cold, salted butter OR vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pure maple syrup

Directions:
For the peaches:
Mix together the sliced peaches and brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Let the mixture stand for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

For the pecans:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Place the pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly toasted and fragrant.  Set to the side.To make the biscuits:
Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or coat with no-stick cooking spray.

Pour flour into a large bowl.  Using a pastry blender, cut 1/4 cup cold butter (or shortening) into the flour until butter pieces are the size of peas.
  Slowly blend in buttermilk using a fork, just until dough begins to come together, being careful not to over-mix.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and very gently knead the dough 2-3 times, just enough to bring it together.  Pat or roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thick disc.  Cut biscuits using a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter, being careful not to twist as you cut.  Repeat until all dough is used.


Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet, so that they are almost touching.
  Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.

For the whipped cream:
While the biscuits are baking, combine the heavy whipping cream, white sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer.  With the whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.

To assemble:
Cut each biscuit in half and place a heaping spoonful of the peaches over each biscuit bottom.  Next, add a generous dollop of the whipped cream, followed by a sprinkling of toasted pecans.  Top with the crown of each biscuit, and finish with a drizzle of  maple syrup.  Garnish with extra chopped pecans, if desired.





Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out