Skip to main content

Wasabi Chicken & Shrimp with Roasted Peanuts



***Chinese food has got to be one of my favorite cuisines.  There's a family-owned restaurant here in town called The Golden Palace.  The husband and wife team that runs this restaurant is so wonderful.  And the food....It's the best in town, in my opinion!

My favorite dish there is the Kung Pao Combination.  I order it with no sauce (to save calories!), and it's basically chicken, shrimp, bell pepper, onion, and roasted peanuts.  It's SO delicious! 

The other night, I decided to whip up my own version of this scrumptious meal for dinner.  The following recipe is what I came up with.  I have to admit...Brad and I were both blown away by how good this meal was.  I served it with homemade fried rice, which was the perfect combination.

This dish is packed with flavor and is not complicated to make.  It's easy enough for a weeknight meal, but special enough to be served at Sunday dinner.

Bon Appetit!!***

Wasabi Chicken & Shrimp with Roasted Peanuts
Source:  Recipe by Celeste  :-)

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bottle Wasabi sauce (I used Ty Ling Naturals Wasabi Sauce)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup salted peanuts
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Meanwhile, place the chicken and shrimp into separate zip lock bags.  Add enough wasabi sauce to each bag to completely cover the chicken and shrimp.  Let marinate for at least 3o minutes.

While the meat is marinating, place the peanuts in a single layer on a greased baking sheet (I use Pam Cooking Spray).  Place the sheet into the pre-heated oven and roast the peanuts for about 5 minutes, or until they are golden brown and fragrant.  Be sure to watch them closely, so they don't burn!

Now, heat a medium skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.  Add a few tablespoons of the olive oil.  Next, add the chicken and saute until cooked through.  Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate near by.  At this point, you may have to wash your pan if the wasabi sauce has started to burn on the bottom.

Into the clean pan, add a few additional tablespoons of olive oil, and then add the marinated shrimp.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through, and remove the shrimp to the same plate as the chicken.

If necessary, wash your pan one more time to remove any burned bits of wasabi sauce.  To the clean pan, add more olive oil.  Add the bell pepper and onion.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.  Once the veggies are nice and tender, add the chicken and shrimp back to the pan.  If desired, add a little more wasabi sauce, to suit your taste.  Add the roasted peanuts.  Give the mixture a good stir, and cook until the chicken and shrimp are hot again. 

Serve immediately!  This dish is wonderful served with fried rice.

Comments

mj said…
This looks amazing and I'm sure my husband who loves everything wasabi will thank you for it! Now I just need to figure out where to buy wasabi sauce :)
Shelby said…
I'm with MJ, I just have to find this wasabi sauce. I've seen wasabi powder lately...this looks so delish!
Barrister Bites said…
This looks amazing - what kind of wasabi sauce do you use?
Celeste said…
Thanks everyone! :-)

Leslie - I used Ty Ling Naturals brand Wasabi Sauce...I just added a photo to the blog post for you!
Jo said…
What an interesting combination of flavours, especially the addition of wasabi.
tigerfish said…
Not really a fan of wasabi but the gloss on the shrimps makes the dish so tasty-looking!
Colleen said…
This looks delicious - I will have to try the Wasabi sauce!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out