Skip to main content

Beautiful Danish Pastry Braid!


This is my 5th Daring Bakers Challenge, and I have to say that this was my favorite! I've always wanted to try baking a pastry, so when I found out what this month's challenge was, I was pretty excited! After completing this challange, I've added a few new words to my baking vocabulary such as "butter-laminated dough", "Beurrage", and "Detrempe."

FYI:
Laminated Dough - layered dough created by sandwiching butter between layers of dough
Beurrage – butter block (this is the butter that is sandwiched in the dough)
Detrempe – ball of dough
Interesting, huh?
I only wish that the process of making these braids and pastries were faster...it ended up being a 2-day process. I can't complain though, because that only makes you savor the final product more! This was my first attempt at laminated dough. I found completing the "turns" and folds to be fun. My butter block stayed in place, which made the process pretty easy. It just takes a lot of patience.
The cardamom and orange zest added such a wonderful, authentic flavor to these danishes. The original recipe called for an apple filling, but we were allowed to choose our filling as long as it was homemade. I chose to make a mixed berry filling for the Danish Braid, and I drizzled a hazelnut-coffee glaze over the top. Both of these ideas came from this very helpful video:
Instructional Video - Just click on "Danish Pastry Braid" after following the link.
Another great idea would be to make a savory filling instead of sweet, such as cheese, spinach, etc.
Our gracious hosts this month were Kelly of Sass & Veracity and Ben of What's Cookin'?.

You can find the entire recipe HERE

I think I'm going to let these photos do the rest of the talking...this braid was SO good...I will no doubt be making this time and time again. Sorry there are so many photos...can you tell I had fun with this challenge??
After cutting the strips...
Close-up of the mixed berry filling (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry)
After completing the braiding...
After the final rise...ready for the oven!
A croissant ready for the oven...
Hot and fresh out of the oven!
With the hazelnut coffee glaze...my favorite! I made it by mixing a little coffee with confectioner's sugar.
Fresh croissant...
Just look at those layers inside!
A platter of goodies...

Comments

Sarah said…
Looks like you could have bought it from a bakery! Very nicely done.
Melanie Anne said…
Beautiful!! Great job! This was a really fun challenge, I agree!
Anonymous said…
your mixed berry filling looks delicious! congrats on a successful challenge!
Melanie said…
Oooh, I wish my braid turned out as lovely as yours. Really, it looks fantastic!
Anonymous said…
It looks delicious, and the little croissants are soooo cute!
Brownie said…
Pretty, pretty! Those photos are good enough to eat!
Meredith said…
Those croissants look absolutely amazing. perhaps I'll make some with the extra dough...
Anonymous said…
looks scrumptious ... and a great job done. nice pics as well.
wow--it is beautiful those croissants are cuties, too!
Ally said…
Your braid looks fantastic! Great job!
Gorgeous photos! Looks fantastic!
Anonymous said…
Very beautiful indeed!
Sarah said…
Yum! Those look gorgeous! The hazelnut coffee glaze sounds fantastic, as does the mixed berry . . . can I have a slice for tea?

Best,
Sarah
Beautiful! Your braid and Danish Pastries look delicious! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa
Patti said…
Great looking braid. I loved this challenge, too.
Anonymous said…
Oh how delicious looking....love the danishes, great job!
Anonymous said…
wow your pictures are gorgeous. I loved this challenge as well!

xx fanny
Amelia said…
Hazelnut coffee glaze??? You had me at hazelnut. That sounds amazingly good! Your braids and croissants look heavenly!
Renee said…
Your braids look awesome. I love the mixed berry filling. Yummy.
Lunch Buckets said…
Nice job! Your filling and glaze sounds really good :)
Deborah said…
Beautiful job! It all looks so wonderful!
Anonymous said…
Lovely!
Y said…
Love your photos and all the different types of danishes you created. Especially the hazelnut coffee glaze!
Anonymous said…
The mixed berry filling sounds delightful; especially right now at height of berry season.

Well done on your challenge.
Anonymous said…
Your braid looks so good! I made a mixed berry filling too, but just for some of the little danishes I made. Your croissant is too cute.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out