Skip to main content

Fried Green Tomatoes!


Here's another classic Southern dish. Fried green tomatoes have always been a favorite of mine. I like them best when they're nice and crispy. The Creole seasoning in this recipe adds a nice little "kick" also. I served these with the Shrimp in Lemon Butter posted below. Yum-O!
And of course, anyone in the Birmingham area HAS to head over to the Whistlestop Cafe to try their fried green tomatoes...Yes, that's the very same Whistlestop Cafe from the movie! Theirs are heavenly! Check out the blog at: http://whistlestopcooking.blogspot.com/ and leave a "Hey Y'all" for Sandi. =)

Ingredients:
3 large green tomatoes, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 tbsp. salt
Hot tap water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. Creole seasoning
Canola Oil


Directions:
Combine tomato slices, salt, and hot water in a baking dish; let stand 30 minutes. Drain.


Combine flour, cornmeal, and Creole seasoning in a shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.


Fry tomato slices in a large skillet of canola oil on medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove tomatoe slices from skillet and let drain on a paper towel. Season with salt.

Source: Southern Living magazine

***I keep any left-over cornmeal mixture in a ziplock bag and re-use it. It can also be used to make fried okra and fried pickles!***

Comments

Anonymous said…
These look great! I've always wanted to try them. From the looks and the sound of the recipe I think I will have to!
Deborah said…
I've always wanted to try making these!
Wills Kitchen said…
Celeste,

Thank you for the nice comments.

The Blackberry Pork chops were very good.

We also did an apricot glazed Pork loin that we ate before we could take a photo of it.

I will post the recipe for it.

I love your site cannot wait to try your recipes.

Of course being from the South the fried green tomatoes really caught my eye.

I travel all over the state of MS and have the opportunity to take photos.

My Wife then uses them for her Art.

Here is the link to her Blog if you would like to see her work.

http://eugeniawmartinartandillustration.blogspot.com/

Take care and thank you.

Will

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out