Skip to main content

A Wickedly Delicious Evening + Chef Frank Stitt!



Do you ever have those magical nights that you just don't want to end? Well, last night was like that for us. As you may know by now, I am a big "Wizard of Oz" fan. In fact, I wore a pair of custom-made ruby red slippers under my ballgown-stlye wedding gown. I love those shoes! Haha. So, when I found out that the Broadway musical, "Wicked" was coming to Birmingham, I immediately was thrilled....excited...ecstatic...you get my point...

Well, the big night was last night. Brad and I got all dressed up and went to dinner at Bottega. We are so lucky to have one of the best chefs in America right here in Birmingham, AL. You may have heard his name - Chef Frank Stitt.

Frank Stitt has received accolades from Gourmet magazine, the Discovery Channel, The New York Times, the James Beard Foundation, and he was recently named one of the culinary "Legends of the Decade" by Bon Appetit magazine...pretty darn impressive, huh?? I have an autographed copy of his first cookbook, "Frank Stitt's Southern Table", which is equally as fabulous as the companion book - "Bottega Favorita".

Last night was our first visit to the famous Bottega. I have to admit - I knew exactly what I was going to order before we even arrived. We had:

Celeste:
Parmesan Souffle with Prosciutto, Mushrooms and Thyme
Tanglewood Farms Chicken Saltimbocca
Riesling wine

Brad:
Michael Deen's Lettuces (Ricotta, Spring Peas, Asparagus and Carrots)
Rigatoni with Niman Ranch Pork Sausage
Pinot Noir wine
Dessert:
Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake with Candied Pecans and Jack-Daniels Ice Cream

Everything was absolutey delicious. The meal was kicked off with scrumptious, warm bread, the finest olive oil, and a divine little plate of assorted olives. The parmesan souffle just melts in your mouth...the prosciutto and mushrooms balance it out perfectly and add texture. The Chicken Saltimbocca was pan-seared to perfection and the classic prosciutto/sage combination makes a heavenly marriage on the plate. Brad and I shared the dessert...and let me just say that this chocolate cake is so divine that it's sinful! The inside of the cake is nothing but oozy, delicious chocolate. The candied pecans at the bottom of the plate and the ice cream leave you wanting more!
Photo courtesy http://www.daylife.com/
The highlight of dinner for me, was certainly getting to meet Frank Stitt himself! From across the room, I thought that I saw him at the bar....but, I could only see his profile so I wasn't positive. I had read that he was usually at one of his other restaurants - Highlands Bar & Grill. So, I wasn't really expecting him to be there (I was secretly hoping he might be!). After finally deciding that it was him after all, Brad asked our wonderful waiter if I could meet him. He said "I'll see what I can do." After only a few seconds, out walks Frank Stitt...to our table! I was SO excited!!! Chef Stitt was so nice...we talked about our recent trip to Europe and I even mentioned my little food blog. I can't believe I didn't get a photo with him, though! I wish I had.
We enjoyed our dinner so much...Needless to say, we walked out of Bottega with full bellies and big smiles. We truly felt that we had been transported back to Italy for 2 hours. ;)

Be sure to check out these articles from Gourmet magazine about Frank Stitt:

And now on to WICKED...

So, we arrive at the theatre and I go straight to the souvenir line...I'm such a dork! There was a t-shirt that I wanted. You can see it HERE. After securing a shirt, we raced in to find our seats. We thought our seats were in the 5th row...and we were REALLY excited about that. But...our seats were actually in the 2ND ROW! Can you believe that? I was beyond excited. The show was AMAZING. If you ever have a chance to see Wicked, please don't pass it up. Everything from the acting to the songs to the props and costumes was just incredible.

What a wonderful, wonderful evening! :)

Comments

Christy said…
I'm so jealous of your evening-I've wanted to see Wicked forever! It will be here in Indy the first of June and I'm hoping to get tickets (and really good seats)!! I'm glad you had a fantastic night!!
Maryanna said…
I went to see Wicked this past Saturday night. I absolutely LOVED it!!!
Bottega's is one of my favorite places in Birmingham. I like it much better than the 'fancy' side. The atmosphere is even better than the food (if that is even possible).
I have those cookbooks too!!
Ooh - this sounds like a fabulous night!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out