Skip to main content

Day 10: Florence, Italy!


Wow...Florence is beautiful! Our train arrived right on time and we caught a taxi to our hotel - Hotel Monna Lisa. It was only about 5 minutes from the station. This hotel was probably my favorite...it is SO gorgeous. As you walk in, there are tons of different "Mona Lisa" paintings. Each one is different from the last and some of them are very funny. We stayed in Room #43...it was beautiful! It had red fabric on the walls instead of wallpaper (very classy!), pretty furniture, a red/white tiled bathroom and a balcony that overlooked the gorgeous courtyard. The courtyard smelled divine as we walked through...even though it was cold outside.
On the train...Florence, here we come!
Our room at Hotel Monna Lisa...we loved this hotel!!!
The view from our balcony...
After we got settled in our room, we went down and asked the hotel staff where we could grab a great bite to eat for lunch. They suggested a place called "I Ghibellini." Wow...our meal there was incredible!!! I had a ravioli dish and Brad had the spaghetti. We were tempted to eat there a second time...it was that good!
"Bruschetta al Pomodoro" (toasted bread with garlic and extra-virgin olive oil with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil)
"Ravioli al Sugo fiorentino con la ricetta della nonna Giulia" (ricotta cheese spinach ravioli with meat sauce made in florentine style)

"Pici de Fiaccheraio" (Homemade "fat spaghetti" prepared according to Siena tradition in a gorgeous sauce with onion, bacon and tomatoes)
Once we were finished eating, we went to the Duomo. There, we got a MAJOR workout. We climbed a total of 877 stairs! Yes, you read that correctly...haha. The first 414 stairs were at the Campanile, which is a beautiful tower that overlooks the entire city of Florence. The climb up the tower was actually a lot of fun, and the view was breath-taking...definitely worth all those stairs. At the same time, we were so relieved when we reached the bottom...the last thing on our minds was climbing more stairs. However, we went straight over to the line that we THOUGHT was for the cathedral. Boy, were we wrong! We bought tickets, got through the door and were greeted by a sign that announced we were about to climb 463 more stairs to the top of the Duomo dome. Oh.my.goodness!!! It was actually pretty hilarious. We had already bought our tickets by that point, so we sucked it up and started climbing. Brad said the look on my face was priceless when I realized what we'd done...haha. I'm SO glad we did it, though. During the climb, you get to walk around the inside circumfrence of the dome...for a close-up look at the dramatic fresco on the dome ceiling. It was awesome! The view from the top of the dome was even higher than the Campanile!
The Duomo...
The Campanile tower...

Climbing to the top of the dome...almost there!
The beautiful frescoes on the dome ceiling...
Inside the cathedral...

After all those steps, we were pretty tired. We looked around the cathedral and then headed towards a large market that we had spotted from the top. It was a great market - very big! I picked up a few more gorgeous scarves. The market stalls were filled with beautiful Italian leather goods - jackets, wallets, belts...It's all so nice!
Next, we strolled the streets of Florence a little longer and tried some gelato...YUM! That stuff is divinely creamy. It was topped off with 1/4 of one of the best waffles I've ever eaten...what a delicious combination. I had a scoop of chocolate, while Brad had the coffee and pistachio flavors.

When we finished up our gelato, we headed back to the hotel to rest for a few minutes and grab our coats. However, that plan changed a little...we fell asleep and didn't even wake up until 11pm! Can you believe that? We had done A LOT of walking and climbing that day! We slept right through dinner. We ended up grabbing a snack out of the mini-fridge (not the big Italian dinner we had in mind), but hey...it was still fun!
A pretty reflection...
Back in the courtyard that night...

We had another full day in Florence just hours away! :)

Comments

Florence is one of my favorite cities. I will only be there for one night before I fly out... should I try your restaurant or my favorite ZaZa?
What a beautiful city! I especially love the "lreflection" picture!!
Celeste said…
Sandi - That's a hard decision! The food was amazing at I Ghibellini...maybe you could have lunch there and then dinner at ZaZa? Have fun! When are you going?

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out