Skip to main content

Day 7: Heidelberg, Germany


Well, Day 7 was another wonderful day in Germany. We went to an a.m.a.z.i.n.g place - the Heidelberg castle. Castles are everywhere in Germany...it's so cool. You just ride down the rode and see random, abandoned castles on the sides of hills. Wouldn't it be neat to have an ancient castle down the street?!? Now, the Neuschwanstein Castle was amazing in its own right, but the Heidelberg Castle may be even cooler. It's A LOT older and part of it is in ruins. That just adds to its uniqueness, though.
Here's a model of what the castle used to look like:

Pretty archways...

Castle courtyard...
Walking through the castle gardens and walls, you can just imagine the things that took place there...and what it would have been like to have lived there all those years ago. Of course, after reading fairytales as a child, you can't help but picture knights in shining armor, ladies in distress and fire-breathing dragons...haha. It was SO neat! I felt like a little kid walking through the place...my imagination was running wild. Even the knobby trees in the garden seemed to have friendly faces and personalities of their own.


Here's a pretty panorama of the city:
The castle gardens were so beautiful...
A tower in ruins...
This statue is also in the gardens...
Part of the castle moat...so cool!

Castle courtyard...
We found a knight! Look at those pointy shoes!!!


Gorgeous view!


The wine cellar in the castle was pretty awesome. The pic below was of a GIANT wine barrel...that thing used to hold A LOT of wine! Haha.

Okay, so they played a joke on me here...You pull on this handle, and a furry thing pops out at you...I wasn't expecting it. Can you tell I was surprised? Haha. It was hilarious.
After wandering through the castle, we ventured down to the town below - Heidelberg. It was definitely one of my favorite little German towns that we visited. It was so incredibly unique. We stumbled across a violin shop and after peering into the shop windows, we saw a man hand-carving the violins. He was so into what he was doing, I don't think he even noticed we were there. It was SO cool to come across something like that!

Up ahead, we walked up to a bridge that had a gorgeous view of the city. The church towers always look so majestic standing tall over their city. The Neckar river that flows through the town is very pretty too. In fact, it is the river that inspired Mark Twain to write "Huckleberry Finn." The view of the castle from down below was also breath-taking.



When we left Heidelberg, we drove back to a town close to Kit & Donna's house for dinner. We ate at an Italian place called "The Red Rooster." I had spaghetti and Brad ordered a delicious pizza. But guess what - We had escargot too!!! Can you believe that??? Snails! We had never had it before. The most surprising thing was that we actually liked it! It was served with butter and herbs, and it was delicious with a piece of toast.
Escargot!

Next, the four of us headed home and had a champagne toast to celebrate our time together. Italy was only a few hours away! :)

Comments

I have been there several times~ I agree, it is a great city. The views of the river are fabulous.

Italy next?? I'm ready!
#1SAHM said…
I've been to Heidelberg and I saw that castle in 2005! It's a beautiful city! Thanks for reminding me of my memories. : )

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out