What inspires you? What are you passionate about? For me, the answer is pretty easy....Food.
I love to create it, cook it, bake it, photograph it, and eat it!
I grew up in the smallish southern town of Dothan, AL, so I am a southern gal through and through. For me, I think some of the best memories are made in the kitchen. Many of my fondest memories from childhood were made standing on a chair next to the kitchen counter alongside my mom or grandmother. I used to love watching them whip up something delicious, and I thought I was "big stuff" when I'd get to help.
Fast forward about 15 years to life as a newlywed in the "big city" of Birmingham, AL....I married an amazing man that I feel so lucky to have in my life - his name is Brad. Seriously, I have no idea what I did to deserve him. :)
Wedding Day - May 20, 2006
Shortly after getting married, we realized that dinner consisted of chicken breasts either baked, broiled, sauteed or fried in some form or fashion. I mean I cooked A LOT of chicken. Dinner time was getting a little mundane, so I decided I needed a way to challenge myself...a reason to branch out a bit and try new things. The solution? A food blog.
Voila...Sugar & Spice by Celeste was born.
I first created the blog as a simple way to catalog the recipes that I tried, and I in no way thought that anyone would ever bother reading what I wrote. Over time, it has grown into something that I love to do. Trying new recipes, photographing new foods and sharing stories with you all makes my heart smile.
What else inspires me? Julia Child...and Paris, France.
Before Giada, Ina, Paula, or Emeril came along, there was the Culinary Queen...the original....Julia Child. Her wit, charm...and that unmistakable voice. She was truly a force to be reckoned with. You've probably been asked the question, "If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be?" There's no doubt that I would choose Julia. There are so many questions I'd like to ask her...so many things that I'd love to discuss with her. She has certainly inspired me and taught me to never give up...no matter how hard that recipe...or life in general!...seems.
And then there's Paris. Oh, how I adore Paris. Julia discovered her love for cooking in the "City of Light"...There's something magical about that place. I constantly find myself daydreaming about our trip there, and it undoubtedly fueled a culinary fire in me after going. The food...the people...the culture...the markets...the "joie de vivre". Oh, I would love to live there for a year...or 2...or 10!
So again, what inspires YOU?
Hopefully some of the recipes on this blog will inspire you to put on your apron and get cookin'!
Bon Appetit, my friends! Thanks for stopping by!
15 Fun Facts About Me:
15 Fun Facts About Me:
- I love studying the French language.
- By day, I am a Director of Business Development for the largest mover/relocation company in the USA.
- Brad and I are also wedding photographers.
- My favorite food is chocolate.
- I was a cheerleader all through high school and co-captain of the varsity squad. Go Cougars! :)
- I can do a hilarious squirrel impression, and once won a contest on a cruise ship because of it...hah.
- I love traveling to new places and trying exotic new foods. I'll try almost any food at least once.
- My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz...I can quote the entire movie!
- If I could go back and live in another decade for one day, it would be the 50's. I love the fashion from that decade.
- I absolutely love to read. I travel a lot for my job, so I constantly listen to audiobooks in the car. Some of my favorite books are: Jane Eyre, The Pillars of the Earth, The Help, My Life in France, Rebecca, The Thirteenth Tale, The Count of Monte Cristo, Julie and Julia, and Suite Francaise.
- My favorite TV shows are Modern Family, The Office, Top Chef, Project Runway, Grey's Anatomy, Revenge and Pan Am.
- Brad and I met working in a local coffee shop together. We can both whip up a mean cappuccino!
- Brad and I love running and are currently training for a 5K.
- I grew up in the "Peanut Capital of the World" (aka Dothan, AL).
- I have twin sisters - Suzanne & Maranne - they are pretty awesome! We stick together like peanut butter and jelly...I don't know what I'd do without them!
Maranne, Me and Suzanne...Sisters!
Be prepared to laugh...Here we are in action, being goofy as always. :)