Skip to main content

French Crepes - Nutella & Banana!



***One of the foods that I was most looking forward to trying in Paris was definitely the crepes. You can order them with almost any filling combination imaginable - chicken, ham, eggs, cheese, Nutella, bananas, strawberries, lettuce, tomatoes...the list goes on and on. The best thing is - there are crepe stands everywhere in Paris! And let me tell you, after hours of walking around the city, a crepe really hits the spot! Our two favorite combos were Chicken & Cheese (Poulet e Fromage) and Nutella & Banana....OMG....they are so fabulous!

Crepes were one of the first dishes that I re-created upon returning home. By now, you probably know I have a weakness for chocolate...so, of course I had to make Nutella & Banana Crepes! Nutella is so delicious...chocolately, hazelnutty goodness! You can usually find it in your grocery store near the peanut butter and jelly.

I really tried to find a crepe recipe that would resemble the ones we had in Paris...everytime we ordered Crepes I watched very carefully as they made it...I had to remember the techniques! Haha. The batter always seemed to be pretty thin...that was an important criteria. After reading the reviews for this recipe, it sounded like a perfect place to start. The only things that I added were the vanilla extract and powdered sugar.

The combo of chocolate and bananas works so perfectly here...especially in these crepes. If you want to try a piece of Paris, just make this recipe...you'll LOVE it!***

FRENCH CREPES
INGREDIENTS:1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1 banana, sliced
Nutella


DIRECTIONS:Sift together flour, sugar and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk together with an electric mixer. Beat in flour mixture until smooth; stir in melted butter.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat....I used Pam cooking spray to coat the skillet. Pour or scoop the batter onto the skillet/griddle, using approximately 2 tablespoons for each crepe (I used a soup ladle to pour the batter into the pan...one ladle-full for each crepe. I also used about a 10 inch skillet to make these crepes...which will ensure they are a perfect circle). Tip and rotate pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

TO ASSEMBLE/FOLD:
With crepe still in pan - Fold in half. Spread Nutella on the folded crepe, and top with sliced bananas. Fold in half one more time. Transfer to a plate and finish it off with a dusting of powdered sugar and a few extra sliced bananas on top.

Notes:
- If using different fillings such as shredded cheese, let the crepe stay on the heat for a few extra minutes...until the cheese starts to melt and the fillings are warm.
- If your batter isn't thin enough, you may need to add a little extra milk to the batter. Just play around with this recipe until you get the perfect consistency.
- You'll know the crepes are almost finished when tiny bubbles start appearing on the top of the batter...just like when making pancakes!

Source: All Recipes

Comments

Christina said…
Your crepes turned out beautifully. Now I'm going to have to try this recipe after reading all about the banana and nutella crepes :)
Anonymous said…
Awesome recipe! We made crepes for the first time ever for some guests. These came out excellent and everyone was raving.
the General said…
These crepes definitely win the prize.
Anonymous said…
They look very good, i'll try them and oh, my name is Celeste =)
I just made these crepes! So very yummy!
A little late to the party but I just made these tonight and really enjoyed them. I added sliced strawberries and whipped cream also. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I have to go through and make other recipes you have shared. Thanks.
Amber said…
I tried these for the first time tonight and they were delicious

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out