Skip to main content

Day 9: Venice, Italy!


Ciao Bella! Venice is so incredible. We began Day #9 with breakfast at the hotel. They had a great and hearty American-style breakfast. We had croissants with jam, scrambled eggs and freshly chopped fruit. It was delicious. After breakfast, we headed to St. Mark's Square (a.k.a. Piazza San Marco) again. There, we went inside the cathedral...it was absolutely gorgeous, just as we expected. The mosaic designs that cover the entire ceiling are incredible. I couldn't imagine having to cover almost every inch of the cathedral ceiling in those tiny little tiles!
St. Mark's Cathedral...

Next, we headed over to the Campanile di San Marco and took an elevator all the way to the top. The view of Venice from up there is enough to take your breath away! You can see the entire city. The clay-colored roof tops with smoke slowly rising from the countless chimneys was truly enchanting.
Campanile di San Marco
Italian Gelato...OMG...delicious!!!
Back in Piazza San Marco, I took some biscotti cookies from my purse and fed the pigeons. I was worried they'd poop on my new JCrew coat, but they didn't...haahha. I had so much fun! They were landing all over me...my arms, hands, even my head! Haha. Brad got some cute photos of the whole thing:
This was fun!
After a little more walking we found a wonderful place called Ristorante Piccolo Martini and had a bite to eat for lunch. I had an AMAZING meal of pasta with prosciutto, mushrooms and parsley in a creamy sauce....WOW. You may remember the recipe that I posted for it HERE. I seriously didn't want the meal to end...haha. It was called "Ravioli Panna Prosciutto e Funghi." Brad really enjoyed his meal too. He had penne pasta with ham and mushrooms in a tomato sauce. We shared a bottle of red wine...what a divine meal!
Lunch at Ristorante Piccolo Martini...
After lunch, we simply spent time exploring Venice and "getting lost" in the maze of streets and alleys.
Prosciutto!
Part of a yummy pistachio cookie. :)
My favorite part of Venice was the romantic gondola ride we took through the city. We found some wonderful gondoliers who had funny personalities. At 100 Euro, it wasn't cheap, but it was worth every dime! We paid a little extra to take the longer ride down the Grand Canal and under the Rialto Bridge. That ride was certainly my favorite moment from Venice. And as part of the Venice tradition, you're supposed to kiss under each bridge you go under...it was so fun and romantic! The gondolier took an awesome photo of us...with the Rialto bridge behind us. Take a look:
The gondola ride! :)
The famous Rialto Bridge...

Our wonderful gondolier...

The beautiful Grand Canal...

We chose not to spend all of our time that afternoon in museums, but instead exploring the city. I'm so glad that we did...we had a blast and got some wonderful photos. That night, we splurged at a restaurant called "Do Forni" for dinner...it was fabulous! It's supposed to be some of the best food in Venice. The experience and setting was perfect. We both had pasta again - of course...we're in Italy! :) I had the "maccheroni" pasta with tomatoes and ham in a creamy sauce...divine! Brad had the lasagne fresh out of the oven. His was equally wonderful. We shared a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. At the end of the meal, our waiter brought out a plate of cookies and a glass of "expensive wine" on the house. What a perfect way to end the meal! I wish I knew what kind of wine that last glass was. It tasted amazing and had a great "woody" smell to it.

"Do Forni" Restaurant

After dinner, we strolled through St. Mark's Square again. It had rained a little earlier in the day, and the cobblestones in the square were still wet. The way the light reflected on the stones was simply breath-taking.
Piazza San Marco at night...breath-taking!

After a long day of exploring, eating our first Italian gelato (chocolate and coffee flavored), sipping espresso, shopping and riding in a gondola, we headed home so that we could catch our train to Florence the next morning. We had quickly fallen in love with Venice!
You can see all of the photos from Venice HERE.

Comments

Colleen said…
These posts on your vacation have all been fantastic! Great narration and it looks like you had an amazing time!
Elizabeth said…
Amazing pictures! I went to Venice a couple of years ago and I think it's the most beautiful place.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out