Skip to main content

Tuiles - Daring Bakers' January Challenge!


Yes...You know what time it is!

This month's Daring Bakers' challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from "The Chocolate Book" by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

As always, I was on pins and needles waiting for the new challenge to be announced. I'm always excited for a brand new recipe to try. I have to admit - I was so happy to see an easier challenge this month...after all, we did make a French Yule Log last month!! That was quite the recipe...!

This month's recipe for Tuile Cookies wasn't too fussy or complicated. I was able to make them very quickly, and the clean-up wasn't too bad either. You can literally make all kinds of shapes with these cookies...fortune cookies, ice cream cones, piroulines...the list goes on and on. I decided to keep it simple and make pretty little bowls. I filled them with frozen blueberries and added a dusting of powdered sugar. They were FABULOUS!!! The cookies have a wonderful taste. In fact, my husband and I couldn't eat just one!

I used a large icing spatula to form large circles with the dough...on a cold baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. They baked for about 8 minutes. I put the baking sheet back into the freezer between batches. One handy trick was this - Once the cookies are done baking, keep the baking pan on the open oven door while you form them. This will keep the cookies warm while you work on the others. They have to be warm in order to form them into the shapes you want! Be careful, though...they will be hot! A muffin tin also came in handy. The cookies didn't fit all the way down into the muffin tin, but I used them as a guide. I rested one cookie on the top of each muffin form until they hardened. I also only cooked 2-4 cookies at a time.

I hope you like them. ;)



Tuiles:
Source: "The Chocolate Book" by Angélique Schmeink
Preparation time:
Batter : 10 minutes, Waiting time: 30 minutes, Baking time: 5-10 minutes per batch

Ingredients:
65 grams / ¼ cup / 2.3 ounces softened butter (not melted but soft)
60 grams / ½ cup / 2.1 ounces sifted confectioner’s sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar (7 grams or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract)
2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)
65 grams / 1/2 cup / 2.3 ounces sifted all purpose flour
Butter/spray to grease baking sheet

Oven: 180C / 350F

Directions:
Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle (low speed) - Cream butter, sugar and vanilla to a paste. Keep stirring while you gradually add the egg whites. Continue to add the flour in small batches and stir to achieve a homogeneous and smooth batter/paste. Be careful to not overmix.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. (This batter will keep in the fridge for up to a week, take it out 30 minutes before you plan to use it).

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with either butter/spray and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This will help spread the batter more easily if using a stencil/cardboard template. Press the stencil on the bakingsheet and use an off sided spatula to spread batter. Leave some room in between your shapes. (Please note: I did not use a stencil. I simply shaped the batter into large circles using an off-sided spatula).

Bake cookies in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for about 5-10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Immediately release from bakingsheet and proceed to shape/bend the cookies in the desired shape. These cookies have to be shaped when still warm, you might want to bake a small amount at a time or maybe put them in the oven to warm them up again. (Haven’t tried that). Or: place a bakingsheet toward the front of the warm oven, leaving the door half open. The warmth will keep the cookies malleable.

If you don’t want to do stencil shapes, you might want to transfer the batter into a piping bag fitted with a small plain tip. Pipe the desired shapes and bake. Shape immediately after baking using for instance a rolling pin, a broom handle, cups, cones….

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I saw your photo at the DBK forum I was blown away. Not only is it macro at it's best, but your tuile bowls are PERFECT! Those blueberries are all they need! Gorgeous!
Anonymous said…
mmm....blueberries, my favourite! Your tuiles look really pro, well done!
Jo said…
Simply beautiful. Fantastic job you have done and the pictures are truly amazing.
Anonymous said…
Just love the photos and blueberries are great with this recipe. Yes I found the tuiles tasted great just by themselves. You have the right idea just make 3 or 4 tuiles at a time. Great job on this challenge.
Great job - looks delicious!
Very pretty! I love the combo!

Cheers,

Rosa
Olga said…
They came out so pretty! Great trick on keeping the cookie sheet in the oven: that would have helped out a lot! I broke a few "spoons" while completing my challenge.
Anonymous said…
Delightful tuile cups!
teegee said…
They look like summertime! Love it.
Lauren said…
Ooo, those look amazing with the blueberries!
Sara said…
Your photos are so beautiful! Yum, the tuiles look delish!
Rebecca said…
What pretty little tuiles...and great photography!
Dayna said…
These look so light and tasty :)
Anonymous said…
They look fantastic. The blueberries really set them off and emphasise the shape.
Dragon said…
So pretty! Great job on this month's challenge.
Ash said…
great stuff! love the blueberries!
Anonymous said…
I love the way that front tuile bowl is sort of star-shaped. It looks kind of patriotic to me, filled with blueberries like that. This would be a fun Fourth of July dessert, too!
Christina said…
Celeste your tuiles are so pretty! I'm loving the blueberries :)
Arlette said…
Very nice Tuiles and the Blueberries looks yummy there
Arlette
Katie said…
so i just found your blog and i'm already in love with it. i'm going to try one of your main dishes tonight! can't wait!
~Amber~ said…
Your tuiles look amazing. Fantastic job.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out