Skip to main content

Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake


***We recently celebrated my wonderful husband's birthday...on Jan. 2nd. We had a fantastic day and a GREAT dinner with our family and friends that night. And by now, you know that it isn't a birthday around here without a delicious, homemade birthday cake. I started asking Brad what sort of cake he wanted about a week before the big day. He took some time to think it over and finally decided on a dark chocolate cake...his favorite kind of chocolate! I remember seeing the recipe below for the perfect cake...conveniently located on the back of the Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa package. And besides, I had already made the milk chocolate version several times with great results. You may remember THIS post from a while back, of Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake. And perfect it was!

The best (and really only) change that I made to the recipe was substituting 1 cup of freshly brewed coffee for the 1 cup of boiling water that's called for in the recipe. The result was a fabulously rich and decadent cake. If you are a coffee-lover, I highly suggest doing the same thing! It certainly wasn't over-powering...it simply added a nice flavor to the final product.***


Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water (I substituted 1 c. hot coffee...see my notes above!)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

"Especially Dark" Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
Directions:
Melt the butter. Stir in cocoa.

Add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency.

Makes about 2 cups.

Source: Hershey's Kitchens (also on back of "Special Dark" Hershey's Cocoa package)

Comments

Helene said…
That looks so good and but it is torture for me this late at night to see this!! Well done!
Looks awesome and dark chocolate is one of my faves!
Anonymous said…
WOW! That looks amazing!! I chocolate lover's dream for sure!
Colleen said…
What a creative addition of the coffee!
Vera said…
The cake looks decadent! Very Happy Birthday and best wishes to your husband, Celeste!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Hmmm, looks rich and decadent! Great photos!

Happy B-day to your hubs!
~ingrid
Emma said…
Sounds good! and what a good idea adding coffee!
test it comm said…
That cake does look nice and dark and decadent and chocolaty good!
flutter said…
Oh that looks absolutely lethal
apparentlyjessy said…
Ooops, I just drooled a little bit...must bookmark this recipe!
whisperwill39@aol.com said…
This recipe is almost the same as my grandmother's and yes I use a cup of strong coffee, this cake is always a hit no matter where I take it, when I bake cakes I put a small saucepan of water in the oven with the cake while baking, always moist..enjoy
Celeste said…
Thanks so much everyone for your comments! :)
Anonymous said…
I've made this cake twice now & my family just love it thank you for the recipe
Anonymous said…
I'm gonna try this for my nieces bday she's not a cake fan she has issues with too sweet. So I'm making a mint and chip ice cream cake with this as the base and I'm thinking of adding boiling mint tea instead of coffee. ��

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out