Skip to main content

Scrumptious Dark Chocolate Cake w/ Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing



Happy Birthday Brad!

January 2nd was Brad's birthday, and we celebrated with a delicious Dark Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese icing.  I even added freshly sliced strawberries in between the two cake layers to make it that much more decadent.  On the side?  Chocolate covered strawberries, of course!

I love making birthday cakes and it's become a little thing lately for everyone to give me some sort of birthday cake "challenge" on their birthday.  Brad wanted a cake that incorporated dark chocolate and strawberries, so this is what I came up with.

The result was pretty delicious, if I do say so myself.  Brad even had seconds, and when that happens you KNOW it's good!  I combined two different elements from two of my favorite cake recipes...I whipped up Hershey's recipe for Dark Chocolate Cake (I've used this recipe time and time again!), and combined it with Paula Deen's recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese icing from her Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake.  Plus, the contrast of the pink icing looked so pretty on the dark cake.

AH-mazing!

The chocolate covered strawberries served on the side were the perfect touch to a perfect birthday celebration.

Bon Appetit, my friends! 




Dark Chocolate Cake
Source:  Hershey's Kitchens

Ingredients:  
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
(you can use regular cocoa, if you prefer)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup freshly brewed coffee


Directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.


In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a different bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract; Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed of an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in hot coffee...the batter will be very thin!


Pour batter into the prepared pans.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely and add icing and strawberry slices.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Cooking with Paula Deen magazine - May/June 2008
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract (I used vanilla extract instead)
7 cups confectioner's sugar (a little less than 2 lbs.)
Directions:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup strawberry puree, reserving remaining for another use. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioner's sugar, beating until smooth.
***Notes***
- For pinker frosting, add 2 to 3 drops of red food coloring to frosting.
- I added freshly sliced strawberries between the cake layers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tried in advance for Valentines, yummy! Question how long can you keep leftovers frosting? Also just pured some fresh strawberry as I had none frozen and it worked out just fine...thanks for posting the recipe. got it on Pinterest
Celeste said…
Hey there! Thanks for your comment. This will be a perfect cake for Valentine's Day! I just might be making it too for V-Day. If you make the cream cheese frosting ahead of time, it should keep perfectly in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days. Some say that it would even be safe for up to 1 week, because sugar is a preservative. I would stick to 3 days, since there are fresh strawberries in it, though. Before frosting the cake, just put the icing back into the bowl of your stand mixer, and mix it until it becomes light and fluffy again. Hope this helps! :)
Lea said…
It looks really great! I need to try it immediately!
Anonymous said…
Would this cake work as cupcakes??
Celeste said…
Anonymous - Yes...this recipe should be great for cupcakes! Be sure to let the cupcakes cool completely before adding the frosting. The least little bit of heat from the cake may make this particular frosting melt a little.
Anonymous said…
Does the cake use all of the frosting? 7 cups of sugar seems a bit much...
Xella said…
Wow, look at these happy faces! Wonderful dark chocolate cake and beatiful contrast with fresh strawberries!
Unknown said…
I'm going to make this for my husband's birthday on Sunday. This is exactly what we ordered for his groom's cake a few years ago. I hope it turns out like yours!!! I found you on Pinterest, by the way!!
Unknown said…
If I don't add coffee will it affect the recipe?
Arianna said…
This cake is wonderful! Do you think I can cover it with fondant? I have to decorate a cake for my kid's friend, he asked me for a Pokemon cake, and I wish to use your recipe. Any suggestions?
Celeste said…
Arianna - Fondant would do great on this cake...Have you tried Marshmallow Fondant? It tastes better than the regular stuff and is fun to make. I posted a recipe for it here: http://sugarandspice-celeste.blogspot.com/2009/06/marshmallow-fondant-cake-fun-at-lake.html
Accesorios Fimo said…
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kalani said…
I made this cake on 7/12/13 for my church leader's birthday. It was delicious and well received. I followed the directions exactly, using regular cocoa instead of the dark because I couldn't find any. I also sliced strawberries as the original poster did and pureed fresh strawberries in the frosting. So yummy!! Will definitely make this again.
Lori Vachon said…
Celeste, this cake looks amazingly yummy! Found it on Recipleaser :)

We'd love to have this linked at our SUPER SUNDAY Link Party, which is running live now!

Lori
Who Needs A Cape?
Not Your Average Super Moms!
The Gilje Crew said…
I'm crushed! I just made this today for my son's birthday tomorrow in 9in round pans - it rose up and out of the pans and completely sunk in the middle. Not sure where I screwed up.

Good news is that it tastes really good. I had to order from a local bakery for the cake, but I'll be using remnants on the cake still (construction cake, to look like "dirt").

I guess it's an excuse to eat the "mistake" now?
The Gilje Crew said…
NM! I looked at the recipe again and think I forgot to add the 3/4 cup flour after the first cup. FUDGE!
Jennifer said…
I was just wondering why coffee? It looks sooo yummy! I am a beginner baker, but this doesn't look too hard.. :) Im so excited to try it.
Jennifer said…
I was just wondering what the coffee did for the flavor. I haven't seen many where you add that. I am a beginner "baker" and I am hoping this isnt too hard. I would love to try this fora birthday! :D It sounds like from everyone else too, that its really yummy!
Anonymous said…
Is there a way to get the right consistency frosting without an electric mixer?
Anonymous said…
Made this for mother's day because my mom loves chocolate. It turned out amazing! I will definitely use this recipe again!
Anonymous said…
Do u need to have the coffee? My mom is allergic to coffee. And can I bake in a 13x9?
Fanny said…
Hi
How many cupcake can I make with this recipe?
What about temperature and time?
Thanks for this lovely recipe.
🤗

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out