So, my sisters came to visit again a few weeks ago, and as usual we just HAD to spend some quality time in the kitchen trying new recipes together. That's one of our favorite things to do. Thankfully, I'm not the only foodie in the family!
They brought along this recipe for Brunswick Stew that they had found in their Southern Living magazine. We couldn't think of anything that would be better for dinner than a comforting, hot bowl of meaty stew that night.
And I mean meaty!
The original recipe calls for 2 lbs. of chicken and 1 lb. of beef brisket. We decided to kick things up a notch and add 2 lbs. of beef brisket instead.
Yes, because we're daring like that!
After all, an extra pound of beef brisket can only make it extra delicious, right? Yes...I think so!
The recipe called for chopped barbequed beef brisket. Instead of taking the easy way out and stopping by the nearest BBQ joint for our brisket, we headed to the store and bought a beautiful hunk of meat to cook ourselves. We plopped it into the crock pot (along with beef broth, onion, garlic, salt & pepper) that morning and let it go for about 6 hours until it was melt-in-yo-mouth tender.
I have to say that this stew is quite delicious. It will warm you up on a cold night and put a smile on your face.
Bon Appetit, my friends!
Adapted from Southern Living magazine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base (Add one box of beef broth OR add another 2 cups of water in with the 1 1/2 tablespoons beef soup base...to make sure there is enough liquid in the soup)
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 (28-oz.) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (OR 2 14-oz cans)
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen white shoepeg or whole kernel corn
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen cream-style corn, thawed
- 1 (9-oz.) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pound chopped barbecued beef brisket; without sauce (We used 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Hot sauce (optional)
- If you are cooking your own beef brisket, place it into a crock pot set on high heat. Cover the brisket with beef stock, 1 chopped onion, 1 clove minced garlic, salt and pepper. Let it slowly cook in the crock pot for 5 - 6 hours, or until the meat is very tender and comes apart easily with a fork. Once it's done, place the brisket on a cutting board and shred it using 2 forks.
- Next, sauté onions and garlic in hot oil in a 7.5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together beef soup base and 2 cups water, and add to Dutch oven. Stir in chicken and next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours.
- Uncover and shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks. Stir in brisket
and lemon juice. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce, if