Skip to main content

Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake - Paula Deen



***There are no words that describe how absolutely delicious this cake is! Paula Deen seriously got this one right...but then again, when has she ever made something that wasn't good?? Please do yourself a favor and make it as soon as you get the chance. This is probably one of my favorite...if not my very favorite...cakes that I've ever made. In fact, I already know what cake I want for my birthday this year...haha. Surely I can think of another reason to make this cake before October. =)



"Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake"
- Paula Deen

1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry flavored instant gelatin
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
Garnish: sliced fresh strawberries


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour 2 round 9-inch cake pans.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract (I used vanilla extract instead)
7 cups confectioner's sugar (You'll need to buy 3 boxes of confectioner's sugar to have enough.)


Directions:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup strawberry puree, reserving remaining for another use. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioner's sugar, beating until smooth.
***Note:For pinker frosting, add 2 to 3 drops of red food coloring to frosting.***
Source: Cooking with Paula Deen magazine - May/June 2008

Comments

Maryanna said…
That looks amazing!!
bethanyjg said…
One of my best friends is obsessed with Edgar's strawberry cake - I have already called her about this! It looks awesome! :)
Melanie said…
This DOES look delicious! And I am loving all your recent posts - I always bookmark your recipes!
Anonymous said…
Wow, that DOES look amazing. Such a beautiful color and looks so moist!
Anonymous said…
mmm!! We are strawberry lovers and I'm sure we will love this! Thanks for posting!
Jaime said…
Oh wow, I am definitely making this cake. Strawberries are my absolute favorite thing ever. It looks amazing!!
Anonymous said…
Denise in Alabama said...
I went to play Bonko lastnight and one of my friends brought Paula Deen's Strawberry Cake. It was great.
Emily said…
I made this recipe with chocolate cake (I'm a chocoholic) and made it into mini-cupcakes with dollops of icing on top. It was a wild success, someone stole the cupcakes before they left the party! I've also made it with the white cake mix and pineapple jell-o and puree instead of strawberry. Equally delish!
Anonymous said…
I make this cake for my 10 year olds birthday and everyone loved it,
Anonymous said…
What would I do to the icing if I wanted to make cupcakes?
Anonymous said…
Do you store it in the fridge?
Nana Patty said…
The largest white cake mix I could find was 16.25 ounces. Have you tried your recipe using this size cake mix, and if so, do I need to change the proportions of any of the other ingredients? Thank you!
Anonymous said…
I WAS MAKING THIS CAKE WITH NO PROBLEM THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN MY LAYERS WERE MAYBE A HALF INCH THINK WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED? I MADE THIS CAKE 3 TIMES AND ALL 3 TIMES THE LAYERS WERE LIKE THIS BUT BEFORE THAT THE LAYERS AND THE CAKE WAS AWESOME.......HELP?
Anonymous said…
I say your cake mix was out of date
Unknown said…
How many cups of cake does this make? I'm making a wedding cake with this recipe. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Could you bake this in a bundt cake pan with success??
Anonymous said…
I made this for my granddaughters birthday and my sister in law wants one also so darn good and easy love it.
Anonymous said…
This cake is DELICIOUS! Made it twice and everybody loves it!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out