Skip to main content

Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake - Southern Living



***For years, my Mom has always made one of the most amazing Italian Cream Cakes...It is spectacular!  It's filled with pecans and flaked coconut, and the cake itself is moist and delicious...with cream cheese icing to finish it all off.  It's always been one of my favorites.  So, you can imagine my delight when my sister-in-law, Christine, surprised me with this Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake for my birthday.  This recipe from Southern Living takes everything you love about traditional Italian Cream Cake and kicks it up about 100 notches!  In fact, Southern Living describes it as one of their "most showstopping cakes ever"...take a look HERE!

The Fresh Orange Curd is the star of the show.  It is spread in between each of the cake layers and adds the most amazing flavor...It's sweet, but not too sweet.  The orange juice and orange rind adds the perfect hint of freshness, which will make it hard to resist a second piece.  The contrast of the fresh tartness of the oranges with the sweetness of the cake is a combination that is sheer perfection here.

And then you have the Pecan-Cream Cheese Icing and Glazed Pecan Halves...Oh.My.Goodness...This cake is heaven!  I've already put in a request for this cake again next year!  It would make a showstopping cake at your Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations this year.  I can personally guarantee that your guests will fall in love with it!

Bon Appetit!***


Fresh Orange Italian Cream Cake
Source:  Southern Living; December 2002

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Fresh Orange Curd (recipe below)
3 cups Pecan-Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (optional)
Glazed Pecan Halves (optional)

Preparation:
Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until blended.


Combine flour and soda; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 cup flaked coconut.


Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.


Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.


Spread 3/4 cup chilled Fresh Orange Curd between layers; spread remaining Fresh Orange Curd on top of cake. (The Fresh Orange Curd layer on top of cake will be very thick.) If desired, loosely cover cake, and chill 8 hours. (Chilling the cake with the curd between the layers helps keep the layers in place and makes it much easier to spread the frosting.) Spread 3 cups Pecan-Cream Cheese Frosting on sides of cake, reserving remaining frosting for another use. Sprinkle 1/2 cup toasted coconut over top of cake, if desired. Arrange Glazed Pecan Halves around top edge of cake, if desired. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Arrange Boxwood Garland around bottom edge of cake before serving, if desired.


Note: Cake may be frosted with Pecan-Cream Cheese Frosting immediately after adding the Fresh Orange Curd, but the cake layers will not be as steady.

Fresh Orange Curd
Yield: Makes about 3 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 cups fresh orange juice (about 4 pounds navel oranges)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon grated orange rind


Preparation:
Combine sugar and cornstarch in a 3-quart saucepan; gradually whisk in fresh orange juice. Whisk in lightly beaten eggs. Bring to a boil (5 to 6 minutes) over medium heat, whisking constantly.


Cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture reaches a pudding-like thickness. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and grated orange rind. Cover, placing plastic wrap directly on curd, and chill 8 hours.

Pecan-Cream Cheese Frosting
Yield: Makes about 4 cups

Ingredients:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted


Preparation:
Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed until smooth; stir in pecans.

Glazed Pecan Halves
Yield: Makes 2 cups
Ingredients:
2 cups pecan halves
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Vegetable cooking spray


Preparation:
Combine pecan halves and corn syrup, stirring to coat pecans. Line a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil; coat with cooking spray. Arrange pecan halves in an even layer in pan.


Bake at 350° for 12 minutes; stir using a rubber spatula. Bake 8 more minutes. Remove from oven, and stir; arrange in an even layer on wax paper, and let cool completely.

Comments

Lea said…
This cake looks amazing. My favorite ingredients.Thanks
http://leascooking.blogspot.com/
Unknown said…
I just made this cake this weekend for Mothers Day. I was hesitant when I was assembling the cake because it didn't seem like there wasn't much to it and the flavors seemed weird. HOWEVER, my moms expression said otherwise. This cake was AMAZING! So moist and and flavors blended so perfectly! Pretty impressive cake..thanks for the recipe!
Lori said…
I added orange spices to this cake--cinnamon, cardarom, cloves, and nutmeg. A-mazing!!!
Jeanie said…
I have been making Italian Cream cake for years, for my friends, employers and myself and have a fantastic recipe. But, when I thought I couldn't find a better recipe, I found this one looking through Pinterest. I have to and I mean have to make this. I experimented with lemon curd once and it was very good, but I wish I thought of oranges, so glad someone did. Too bad I retired in 2014, my old employers would be so excited knowing this is my next cake to bake. I will run to the store, not walk to get my coconut, pecans and orange juice and make it. Wish I saw this yesterday as it was my birthday and could be eating it right now. Thank you for PINNING this, so excited!!! I will post my comments later. So loving this... Gloria Jean
Mrs.James Clemons said…
This looks delicious, but is it at all possible to use stevia for the sugar content? And the number of eggs? Can that be reduced at all? It sounds very rich and being of the diabetic status I have to be very careful not to overdo the sugar and carbs. I would make it otherwise but am trying to think of preserving the flavor while making it diabetic friendly. It looks great! And the idea of orange curd looks very interesting. I don't do very much baking because of all the sugar so I use Stevia when I do some baking. I was thinking of maybe a two layer cake and not a three layer. Thanks for your answer ahead of time.
Patty said…
This was the hit of the Thanksgiving dinner! The glazed pecans were a divine touch. The cake was stunning. The taste was divine...moist, flavorful. The orange curd was out of this world. Do be sure to allow time to make this masterpiece. The curd needs to chill for 8 hours. I did not have time to chill the curd and cake layers, so I froze them. It worked out quite well. I highly recommend this delightful, decadent cake.
Patty said…
This was the hit of the Thanksgiving dinner! The glazed pecans were a divine touch. The cake was stunning. The taste was divine...moist, flavorful. The orange curd was out of this world. Do be sure to allow time to make this masterpiece. The curd needs to chill for 8 hours. I did not have time to chill the curd and cake layers, so I froze them. It worked out quite well. I highly recommend this delightful, decadent cake.
Unknown said…
That sounds great
Anonymous said…
Hi there, could you please let me what “shortening” is, it am not familiar with this?
Many thanks
Vanessa
Unknown said…
This looks soooo good
Unknown said…
What’s is the measurement of 16 oz of powdered sugar? Mine is in a canister.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out