Skip to main content

Chicken Fajitas & Homemade Flour Tortillas


***Do you ever run into kitchen dilemmas or realize that you don't have that one special ingredient that would make your dish just perfect?  Well, that happened recently when I decided to make Chicken Fajitas.  I had all of the necessary ingredients...except for one very, very important element - the flour tortillas!

Oh no...what is a girl to do?!?

The answer?  Well, make your own of course!

Tortillas are one of those things that I have always just picked up at the grocery store.  It's never even dawned on me to make my own.  I was determined to make fajitas that night, so I started to browse through cookbooks and food blogs to see what I could find.  I came across THIS recipe and decided to give it a whirl. 

The recipe was fairly simple.  It requires ingredients that you've probably already got in your pantry.  They were delicious, especially when filled with the chicken fajita mixture.

You'll enjoy this simple and yummy dinner!

Bon Appetit!***


 
Chicken Fajitas
Source:  Amazing Taste Seasonings
Servings:  4Ingredients:
1 Packet Amazing Taste Fajita Seasoning
1 lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast OR Boneless Beef Sirloin, cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp. Oil
1/3 Cup water or lemon/lime juice
1 Medium onion, cut into thin strips
1 Medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 Small tomato, cut into thin wedges
8 Flour tortillas (RECIPE BELOW)


Directions:
Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add meat or chicken and cook until browned, stirring frequently. Add water, seasoning, onion, bell pepper, and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for additional 2-3 minutes until meat or chicken is cooked thoroughly. Spoon into warm tortillas.


Texas Flour Tortillas
Source: Homesick Texan food blog;  (Adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison)



Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk


Directions:
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
- Slowly add the warm milk.
- Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
- Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
- After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
- In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
- Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
- Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
- While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
- Makes eight tortillas.

Comments

Christina said…
These look and sound perfect for fall. I love fajitas!
Elizabeth said…
I've always wanted to try making homemade flour tortillas - everyone I know who has tried them said they're fantastic. I'm still too scarred from my one attempt at making corn tortillas. I'm trying to talk myself into it.
Constanza said…
I made them, quite easy and delious, never going back to store bought! Thank you, wonderful recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out