Monday, March 31, 2008

Dorie's Perfect Party Cake!

I had SO much fun with this month's Daring Baker's Challenge! This month's challenge was hosted by Morven at Food Art and Random Thoughts, and you can find the recipe HERE . The recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours.

I was thrilled when I found out this month's challenge was a cake. That's without a doubt one of my favorite things to make. It is a wonderful cake with raspberry preserves and whipped cream between each yummy a fresh lemony taste! To top it all off, it includes a divine buttercream icing (made from scratch, of course!).

I got creative with it by dying the shredded coconut green and placing candy eggs on the top. I ended up with an Easter Egg Hunt cake, which I took to our Easter celebration. The thing that made my cake extra special was the golden, candy egg hidden inside the cake. We gave a prize to the person that got the piece with the golden, huh?? It was such a big hit, that I think it will become an Easter tradition.

Here are some pics!


I used "Bonne Maman" fresh raspberry preserves...they were so good!

Here's the golden egg...hidden inside!

Look at those layers!

Close-up of one of the candy eggs...they looked really pretty on the cake.

I added a flag to the top to announce the "egg hunt."

I made two cakes!

A slice of yummy-ness!

This is also my entry for the Easter Cake Bake...check out the blog event HERE!


KN said...

Ooh, I love the Easter Theme. So fun to find an egg, too! Looks great!

~Amber~ said...

How adorable! What a cute Easter themed cake. And the hidden egg inside is an awesome idea.

Sheltie Girl said...

These are too fun! I love your decorating and the hidden egg. I hope everyone enjoyed them.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

deLa said...

my favorite part of the easter meal is the desserts! the possiblities are endless and you proved that here! LOVE the cake and cant wait to make it!

Cara said...

The hidden egg is such a great idea! I used those same raspberry preserves in my cake! Looks great!

Renea said...

That is so stinkin cute! Good job. Looks delish too!

Kim said...

Lokks simply divine! Love the eggs hiding in the coconut. So many of these pretty party cakes around, I would love a slice.