Skip to main content

Classic Southern Pecan Pie

***There are a few days every year that turn grocery stores into a mad house...Thanksgiving Eve is certainly one of them! Did you have to make a last minute run to the store this year? I had a few things left on my list to get, and I knew that the stores would be crazy-busy, but I braved them anyway. It wasn't too terribly bad. I did search 3 different grocery stores for fresh fennel...with absolutely NO luck! I couldn't find the licorice-smelling veggie anywhere. So, I just left it out of the turkey recipe. It still turned out great, so no worries there. I didn't even miss it.

As I frantically made my way through the craziness of all the other grocery shoppers, I decided to make a pecan pie at the very last minute. In fact, I was craving a pecan pie so badly that I almost bought a store-made pie...I know, right? GASP! It sat in my shopping cart for a while, but I finally changed my mind. I figured that I could probably make one for cheaper than I could buy one pre-made, not to mention that it would taste better anyway. So, I tried and tried to remember the recipe for Classic Pecan Pie. I searched high and low for the recipe...on the pecan package, inside the cookbooks for sale in the grocery store, and finally....I knew right where to look...the back of the Karo Syrup jar! This has to be one of the most widely used and popular recipes for the favorite Southern pie. I knew I couldn't go wrong with it...it's SUPER easy and quick. It came together in a flash and did its thing in the oven for about an hour until it was all ready. It doesn't get much easier!

I made the pie on Thanksgiving Eve, along with the homemade cranberry sauce. I also made the compound butter with the bacon, herbs and dijon and stuffed it under the turkey's skin so that it could chill overnight.

The next morning, I simply had to chop the veggies, place the turkey on top and pop it into the oven...basting it every 30 minutes. Next, I tackled 2 batches of dressing and finished everything off by throwing together the Pecan Caramelized Brie. At the end of the day, it all went so smoothly and all of my dishes were a success....Whew!

This pecan pie made for the perfect dessert...with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course!

Best wishes to you all during this holiday season!!!***

Classic Pecan Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 55 to 60 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients:
1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen** deep-dish pie crust
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Mix corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into pie crust.
Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes (see tips for doneness, below). Cool for 2 hours on wire rack before serving.

**To use prepared frozen pie crust: Place cookie sheet in oven and preheat oven as directed. Pour filling into frozen crust and bake on preheated cookie sheet.

RECIPE TIPS: Pie is done when center reaches 200°F. Tap center surface of pie lightly - it should spring back when done. For easy clean up, spray pie pan with cooking spray before placing pie crust in pan. If pie crust is overbrowning, cover edges with foil.

NUTRITION TIP: To reduce calories, substitute new Karo® Lite Syrup for the Karo® Light or Dark Corn Syrup.

High Altitude Adjustments: Reduce sugar to 2/3 cup and increase butter to 3 tablespoons. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Source: Karo Syrup

Comments

Memória said…
Oooo, I love pecan pie (without pecans). Your pie looks great! I'll have to try this recipe without nuts. YUMMY!!
natalie said…
what a delicious pie ! Pity I don t find corn syrup here. Maybe I could use golden syrup. I ll try and we ll see. you really made me crave this pie now :)
Jo said…
I made your pecan pie for Thanksgiving - it certainly looks beautiful - I can't wait to find out how it tastes later today :)
Anonymous said…
@Memoria, that's what they call Transparent Pie. :)
Your delicious Southern pecan pie recipe has been chosen as one of the best 50 Thanksgiving pecan pie recipes on the net.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Mama's Cookin said…
Just made this Pe an Pie. Very easy...let's see how good it tastes. Happy Thanksgiving!
Anonymous said…
Tried your recipe and JUST placed it in the oven. I can't wait to see how it comes out��

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out