Skip to main content

Lobster Rolls w/Lemon Vinaigrette & Garlic Butter



***After coming home from work one night, Brad brought the latest issue of Gourmet to me and pointed to the cover photo, saying "THIS looks GOOD...Can you make it??" It was a gorgeous photograph of this dish - Lobster Rolls with Lemon Vinaigrette and Garlic Butter. It's not often that Brad requests a very specific dish, so I was determined to make it...it looked too scrumptious not to!

Because I had never cooked lobster before, I was excited to try something new! I quickly bookmarked the recipe and bought the ingredients on my next grocery trip.

Every once in a while, a dish comes along that you just wish you could eat at least once a week. This definitely falls into that category!!! I'm serious...the flavors are amazing, and the phrases "Mmmmm", "WOW", and "Oh my gosh!" are sure to escape your mouth while you're busy scarfing it down! Haha.
First of all, what seafood is there that tops lobster?? It's definitely the main star here. The fresh parsley also really makes this dish. Don't even think about using dried parsley...it won't be the same! The crunch of the celery and green onions really add a nice element to the sandwich, and the garlic butter really pushes it over the edge!
If you're looking for a scrumptious lobster dish, stop right here...You've found it!!!***

Lobster Rolls with Lemon Vinaigrette and Garlic Butter
Serves 6
Active time: 25 min
Start to finish: 50 min
Source: Gourmet magazine; July 2009

Ingredients:
4 (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-lb) live lobsters
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup finely chopped peeled celery
1/4 cup celery leaves (I left these out)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 stick unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, smashed
6 hot dog buns, preferably top-split

Accompaniment:
lemon wedges

Directions:
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat. (I simply put the buns under the broiler in the oven....instead of using a grill.)

Plunge 2 lobsters headfirst into a large pot of salted boiling water and cook, partially covered, over medium-high heat 8 minutes (for 1 1/4-lb lobsters) to 9 minutes (for 1 1/2-lb lobsters) from time they enter water. Transfer with tongs to an ice bath and let stand until completely cooled. Return water to a boil and cook and cool remaining 2 lobsters. Remove meat from claws, joints, and tails. Save carcasses, shells, and any roe for another use (see "To Make Lobster Stock" and "To Make Lobster Oil"). Coarsely chop meat.

Whisk together lemon juice, oil, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Whisk in scallions, celery, celery leaves, and parsley, then add lobster and gently toss. Season with salt.

Melt butter with garlic in a small saucepan over low heat, mashing garlic with a spoon.

Brush inside of buns with garlic butter. Grill, buttered side down, until golden, about 1 minute.
Fill buns with lobster.

Cooks’ notes:
Lobsters can be cooked 1 day ahead. Remove meat from shells and chill.
Buns can be grilled in a lightly oiled hot 2-burner grill pan over medium heat or toasted in a 350ºF oven 5 to 7 minutes.

Comments

Jo said…
That looks amazing!!
Jo said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divina Pe said…
That's scrumptious.
Anonymous said…
I had my 1st lobster roll in Boston in January. I will never forget how special that meal was! Your version looks great too.
Anonymous said…
Looks amazing but, if I were to buy four (4) whole lobsters, I would surely not use in a salad on a bun.....sorry they are way to expensive. Wish we all could aford them and try your sandwich.........
Anonymous said…
Finally a lobster roll without mayo. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Could I use Lobster tails for this recipe?
Anonymous said…
Love it!!!! Can use flat top hotdog buns lightly toasted for authentic bread in the treat!
Anonymous said…
I don't know where any of you live but if you are lucky enough to live on long island...go to Claws in Sayville for the BEST LOBSTER ROLL you will ever eat.
Anonymous said…
It looks yummy especially for lent

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out