Skip to main content

The Best Pizza Dough



After traveling to Italy back in 2009 and having *REAL* Italian pizza, we were ruined forever.  Our pizza standards were immediately raised, and once home, we knew we had to try and recreate the pure pizza perfection we experienced in Italy.

At almost every restaurant we went to, Pizza Quattro Stagioni (or Four Seasons Pizza), was on the menu.  This type of pizza has 4 distinct quadrants - traditionally prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives and mushrooms.  Each section symbolizes the four seasons of the year.  We tried it once and fell in love, so we kept ordering it every chance we got.  

Ever since, that has been our favorite to make at home (and a good ole' Pepperoni Pizza has now been added to our pizza nights for the little one).  Instead of separating the ingredients into sections, I cheat a little and spread each of the four ingredients over the entire pizza.  I love the flavor combinations and having them all in each bite is just so scrumptious.

However, a pizza is only as good as it's crust, so a delicious pizza dough is vital!  This recipe is my absolute favorite, and I wouldn't make it any other way.  The honey is the secret ingredient here, so don't leave that out.  It's super subtle, so you won't end up with an overly sweet crust.



The Best Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups warm water (100 - 110 degrees F)
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
Cornmeal for dusting

Directions:
Pour the warm water into a small bowl.  Stir in the honey and yeast.  Set aside to proof for about 10 minutes, or until nice and foamy on top.

Add the flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on low for a few seconds to combine. 

With the mixer on low speed, add the yeast mixture and olive oil to the bowl.  Continue to mix until the dough forms a mass on the paddle and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, 4 to 5 minutes.  If the dough is still too wet after 4 minutes, slowly add up to 1/2 cup additional flour, as needed.

Remove the dough to a floured surface and dust the top of the dough with a sprinkling of flour.  Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes and form into a smooth ball.  Cut the dough into two equal portions (or 3 equal portions, if you'd rather smaller, personal size pizzas).

Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel (flour sack towels are great for this!).  Let rise for 30 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface (or if you're feeling sassy, toss the dough in the air to get it ready).  Transfer it to a pizza pan or a large baking sheet that's been sprinkled with coarse cornmeal.  

Add your favorite sauce and toppings.  Brush the outer crust of your pizza with olive oil.

Transfer the pan to the oven (or slide your pizza onto a hot pizza stone).  Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.  Enjoy! 

**Note - If adding ingredients like artichoke hearts and canned/sliced olives, be sure and squeeze out all of the extra liquid and juices before adding to the pizza.  If you don't, you'll end up with a soggy pizza, and no one likes soggy pizza!

Nice and foamy yeast after a quick 10 minute proof

Little hands kneading dough are the sweetest

She's my favorite

After rising



She was so proud of her pizza that she made all by herself!

Always put the prosciutto on last...it gets crispy as the pizza bakes and OH SO GOOD!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out