Skip to main content

#SaveTheBiscuit - Caramel Pecan Biscuit Bake



What do you get when you combine the ooey-gooey goodness of a cinnamon roll with the light and fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth amazing-ness of a buttermilk biscuit?


Well, this Caramel Pecan Biscuit Bake, of course.

My mouth is watering right about now, just remembering that wonderful first bite of this concoction.  You might be wondering what a "biscuit bake" is.  I had never made one, and really had never heard of one, until recently.  You basically make an easy biscuit dough and press it into the bottom of an 8x8 inch dish.  Next, it's topped with a heavenly mixture of yumminess, which in this case turned out to be melted butter, syrup, brown sugar, chopped pecans and plenty of cinnamon.  

Um, yes PLEASE!

I was surprised at how high the biscuit dough rose during baking.  I kind of assumed that the topping mixture would weigh it down a little.  Boy, was I wrong. 

The first bite is undoubtedly the best.  Trust me, you won't be able to let this cool long enough to allow each piece to come out of the baking dish in a perfect square.  It's wonderfully messy and seriously melts in your mouth.  The more it cools, the more it will hold its shape.

The weekend will be here before you know it, and that's the perfect time to treat your family to this incredible treat.  Weekend mornings always meant big home-cooked breakfasts around our house growing up.  My mom made mounds of scrambled eggs, grits, bacon, and bread of some sort - either biscuits or toast.  My dad would pile a mountain of grits and eggs onto his plate so high you'd only see the outside rim of his plate!  Thanks in part to this recipe, last Sunday morning was one of those blissfully lazy mornings that just make your heart smile.

This is the second installment of my #savethebiscuit series, in which I've partnered with the nice folks at White Lily flour.  This recipe is a really cool way to incorporate biscuit dough into your repertoire in a new and exciting way.  I'm already brain-storming ideas of what to top my next Biscuit Bake with...Oh, the possibilities!  Seriously...I'm sort of in love with the whole concept.

If you're looking for more breakfast recipe ideas, White Lily has a great selection HERE.

Bon Appetit, my friends!



Caramel Pecan Biscuit Bake
Source:  whitelily.com

Ingredients:
Crisco Original No-Stick Cooking Spray

Topping:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup Hungry Jack Butter Flavored Syrup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1  1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Dough:
2 cups White Lily Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
1/4 cup Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup Pillsbury Whipped Supreme Cream Cheese Flavored Frosting


Instructions:
Heat oven to 400º F. Lightly spray 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Combine butter, syrup, brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon in medium bowl. Set aside.

Place flour in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk. Stir just until dough leaves sides of bowl.


Press dough into bottom of prepared baking dish with floured hands. Pour butter mixture over dough. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until dough rises and edges are golden brown. Place on cooling rack.


Heat cream cheese frosting in microwave safe bowl 15 to 20 seconds or until melted. Stir. Drizzle over biscuit bake. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.





Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out