Skip to main content

Tomato & Mozzarella Salad - Ad Hoc at Home


***So, if you haven't noticed lately, I am seriously in love with Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home cookbook. I hope you're not getting tired of the Ad Hoc postings...there are certainly a few more recipes that I can't wait to share with you!

This Tomato & Mozzarella Salad caught my eye because it looked so fresh and delicious...Plus, I love, love, love caprese salad. We ate a caprese salad in Rome, Italy that was especially wonderful. The flavors were vibrant...the tomatoes were fresh...and the mozzarella was perfectly soft.

This particular recipe makes a gorgeous presentation, and it just gets better after the first day...once the flavors really have time to meld together. Mr. Keller recommends serving the mozzarella on the side of this salad, but I mixed mine right in. Thomas also includes instructions for making your own mozzarella. While this is something that I definitely plan to tackle one day, I did go ahead and use store-bought mozzarella this time around.

Shh...don't tell anyone...

Bon Appetit!***


Adapted from Thomas Keller's "Tomato and Handmade Mozzarella Salad"
Source: Ad Hoc at Hoc; Pages 148 - 149

Ingredients:
16 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
3-3/4 pounds assorted medium to large tomatoes
1/2 pound assorted cherry and/or grape tomatoes, such as Sweet 100s or Sun Gold
1/2 medium Armenian cucumber or 1/4 Engalish cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
2 tablespoons Basil Oil (optional)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
12 to 15 small basil leaves, such as Italian, opal, and/or lemon lime
Fleur de sel
I made a dressing by mixing 1 part balsamic vinegar with 2 parts olive oil (or about 1/3 cup vinegar + 2/3 cup olive oil.) I drizzled this dressing over the entire salad before serving.

Directions:
Core the large tomatoes and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Halve or quarter the small tomatoes, depending on their size; leave some of the small stems attached. Peel the cucumber and cut into desired shapes.

To make the basil cream, if desired, whip the cream in a medium bowl until it just holds soft peaks. Fold in the basil oil. (The cream should not be refrigerated, or the texture will change.)

Spread the tomato slices on a baking sheet or work surface, with the wider side of the tomatoes facing up, and drizzle lightly with olive oil.

Turn the slices over, brush lightly with the basil cream, and season with salt and pepper. (The basil cream will add just a small amount of hidden flavor to the dish.) Drizzle olive oil over the small tomatoes and the cucumber.

Arrange the sliced tomatoes on a large platter, basil cream side down. Layer the cucumber slices and small tomatoes on top, and drizzle with olive oil. Scatter the onion and basil over the salad and sprinkle fleur de sel around the platter.

Serve with the mozzarella and remaining basil cream on the side.

Comments

Tia said…
nope, not sick of ad hoc yet! keep em coming!
jidgede said…
caprese salad....my fave....when we lived in italy i ordered it at every restaurant, and this new year's eve when we went to a restaurant in our hometown (jackson tn) this is what i ordered!!! can't get too much mozzarella, tomato and basil and NO we are not tired of "ad hoc"....i am glad you introduced him (it) to us.....love reading your blog everyday.....keep posting girl!!!! jennie in tn <><
Whitneymwall said…
OOOH this is just right up my alley with the tomatoes and I will definitely be making this asap! I can't wait to make this with my garden tomatoes this summer--double YUM!
lg said…
How many did this serve?
Celeste said…
lg - This recipe made an entire platter full of salad...It could easily feed 6 people, or more...depending on their appetites!
Anonymous said…
I bet this salad would be particularly good made with colorful Heirloom tomatoes. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out